Saturday, May 30, 2009



After a few hours reading various advertisements for Herman Miller furniture (I'm developing a unhealthy relationship with it... its so... beautiful.  I can't help myself)  I've decided to follow up with a ad campaign for IKEA.  I love IKEA, but I feel like they do some great advertising. And some really annoying advertising.

Point:  most of their advertising focuses on the price of the object, rather than the design.
I found this vintage ad for Herman Miller chairs and was so blown away by the simplicity of the design.  I have such a respect for the International Typographic Style (ITS) I feel like the simplicity of the type as well as the dynamism of the photo are awesome!  Who would have thought that just lining chairs up with each other could be so effective graphically [purrs to self].

So:  I created an IKEA ad following the format and layout of the type presented by the poster in hopes of recreating some of the qualities of it.  I'm not sure if it works with IKEA, I still think that the price (14.99) NEEDS to be a part of it,  but I like how Herman Miller excludes the price, and really just lets the customer appreciate the design rather than the weight of their wallet.  True masters.  True masters indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment